Colonel Jeffrey L. Hedges is currently the Vice Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, Stewart Air National Guard Base, Newburgh, N.Y. In this role, he helps develop strategic airlift priorities that integrate with National Guard Bureau and Air Force initiatives. His responsibilities include active oversight of readiness, mobility, training, and deployment of assets and personnel in support of federal and domestic operational support, interagency coordination, and COCOM force provider requirements. He also oversees all personnel actions including coordination with State Program Partners, Civil Support Teams, Counter Drug Task Force, Joint Task Force Empire Shield and domestic response operations involving the 105th Airlift Wing.
Colonel Hedges earned his commission as a direct appointment in 1998 after earning a Bachelor of Science Degree from Indiana State University and then a Juris Doctorate from the University of Illinois.
He has served as Executive officer for both the 109th Airlift Wing and Joint Task Force Support Forces Antarctica, reporting to the Thirteenth Air Force Commander for Operation DEEP FREEZE. Colonel Hedges has commanded the 109th Logistics Readiness Squadron and deployed as the 405th Expeditionary Logistics Readiness Squadron in support of OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM. Colonel Hedges has served as a Judge Advocate for the NORAD/NORTHCOM Air Operations Center and as an Active Duty Judge Advocate specializing in criminal and employment law. He has also served as Commander, 109th Mission Support Group, Stratton Air National Guard Base, Scotia, N.Y. Prior to his current position, Colonel Hedges served as Director of Staff with duties as Chief of Staff at Joint Forces Headquarters, Latham, N.Y. where he acted as principle advisor to the Commander, New York Air National Guard on matters pertaining to nearly 6,000 Airmen, five Wings, and Eastern Air Defense Sector.
1993 Bachelor of Science Degree in Aviation Administration, Indiana State University, Terre Haute
1998 Juris Doctorate, the University of Illinois School of Law, Urbana-Champaign
2002 Squadron Office School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2009 DoD Executive Leadership Development Program, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
2011 Leadership Tech Valley Civic Course, Albany, N.Y.
2013 Air War College, by correspondence
2017 Joint and Combined Warfighting School-Hybrid, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2018 National Security Studies Management Course, Syracuse University, Syracuse, N.Y.
1. November 1998 – April 2001, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 325th Fighter Wing, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
2. May 2001 – November 2003, Chief of Military Justice, 341st Space Wing, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
3. November 2003 – November 2005, Inactive Status, Headquarters, Air Force Personnel Center, Colorado Springs, Colo.
4. November 2005 – January 2006, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 125th Fighter Wing, Florida Air National Guard, Jacksonville International Airport, Fla.
5. January 2006 – January 2007, Judge Advocate, Southeast Air Defense Sector, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
6. January 2007 – August 2010, Executive Protocol Officer, Joint Task Force-Support Forces Antarctica, Hickam AFB, Hawaii
7. August 2010 – February 2012, Executive Officer, 109th Airlift Wing, New York Air National Guard, Stratton Air National Guard Base, Scotia, N.Y.
8. March 2012 – July 2014, Commander, 109th Logistics Readiness Squadron, NY ANG, Stratton ANGB, Scotia, N.Y. (July 2013 – January 2014, Commander, 405th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Thumrait Air Base, Oman)
9. July 2014 – January 2017, Commander, 109th Mission Support Group, NY ANG, Stratton ANGB, Scotia, N.Y.
10. February 2017 – April 2019, Director of Staff, New York Air National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Latham, N.Y.
11. May 2019 – Present, Vice Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, NY ANG, Stewart ANGB, Newburgh, N.Y.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Distinguished Presidential Unit Citation
Air Force Good Conduct Medal
Antarctica Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
First Lieutenant May 17, 1997
Captain May 17, 1999
Major Oct. 1, 2006
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 10, 2011
Colonel July 27, 2015
(Current as of November 2019)