Brigadier General Denise M. Donnell is the commander of the 105th Airlift Wing at Stewart Air National Guard Base (ANGB), New York. She is responsible for the combat readiness of assigned units by providing the necessary equipment, supplies, and facilities, to include assigned C-17A Globemaster III aircraft. General Donnell oversees a wing with a total local area economic impact of over $150 million, and has coordinating responsibilities for a United States Marine Corps tenant unit with KC-130J assigned aircraft.
General Donnell was born at Camp Pendleton, California, graduated from Georgetown University in 1993 with a Bachelor of Science in Foreign Service, and commissioned through the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps program. After nine years as a naval aviator, she joined the Air National Guard at Stewart ANGB, New York in 2002. General Donnell has operated numerous aircraft, to include the P-3C, C-5A, LC-130, and C-17A, amassing more than 4,400 flying hours. Prior to her current position, the General served as the Vice Commander of the 105th Airlift Wing, Stewart ANGB, N.Y.
1993 Bachelor of Science, Foreign Service, Georgetown
University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base
(AFB), Ala., by correspondence
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.,
2008 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2016 Joint and Combined Warfighting School, Norfolk, Va., by hybrid delivery
2018 National Security Management Course, Maxwell School, Syracuse University, N.Y.
2020 Distinguished Graduate, Master of Science, Government Information Leadership, National Defense University,
1. June 1993 – October 1995, Student, Naval Flight Training, Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas
2. October 1995 – June 1996, P-3 upgrade training, Patrol Squadron 30, Naval Air Station, Jacksonville, Fla.
3. July 1996 – January 2000, P-3 NATOPS Evaluator Pilot, Mission Commander, Quality Assurance Officer, Patrol Squadron 46, Naval Air Station, Whidbey Island, Wash.
4. February 2000 – October 2002, P-3 NATOPS Evaluator Pilot, Operational Test Director, Air Test and Evaluation Squadron 1, Naval Air Station, Patuxent River, Md.
5. November 2002 – September 2005, C-5 Aircraft Commander, Pilot Scheduler, 137th Airlift Squadron, Stewart Air National Guard Base (ANGB), N.Y.
6. October 2005 – April 2010, Commander, 105th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Stewart ANGB, N.Y.
7. May 2010 – January 2013, Commander, 105th Maintenance Squadron, Stewart ANGB, N.Y.
8. February 2013 – May 2016, Commander, 109th Maintenance Group, Stratton ANGB, N.Y. (December 2014 – January 2015, Commander, 13th Air Expeditionary Group, McMurdo Station, Antarctica)
9. May 2016 – August 2017, Vice Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, Stewart ANGB, N.Y.
10. August 2017 – Present, Commander, 105th Airlift Wing, Stewart ANGB, N.Y.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,400, including 280 combat hours
Aircraft flown: T-34, T-44, P-3C, C-5A, C-17A, C-130 and LC-130
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Navy Commendation Medal
Navy Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Ensign May 26, 1993
Lieutenant Junior Grade June 1, 1995
Lieutenant (USN) June 1, 1997
Major July 10, 2003
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 15, 2008
Colonel May 13, 2013
Brigadier General Dec. 31, 2020
(Current as of March 2021)