History of the 105th Airlift Wing
Published February 04, 2010
In 1948, the 137th Fighter Squadron of the N.Y. Air National Guard received federal recognition and began operations at the Westchester County Airport in White Plains, N.Y. The unit was initially equipped with F-47 Thunderbolt aircraft. In September 1952, the unit was redesignated to the 137th Fighter Interceptor Squadron and received the F-51 Mustang aircraft along with a new air defense mission.
Later in 1953, the unit entered the jet age when it received the F-94 Starfighter all-weather interceptor. The unit retained its air defense mission until 1958 when it converted to the F-86 Saber Jet and was reorganized as the 105th Tactical Fighter Group. In February 1961, the unit was redesignated again as the 105th Aeromedical Transport Group and received its first C-119 Flying Boxcar aircraft. The unit later converted to the four-engine strategic transport C-97 Stratocruiser, which allowed the 105th to participate in missions in Southeast Asia operations. A more recent phase of the unit's history began in 1970 with its redesignation as the 105th Tactical Air Support Group and its assignment to forward air control and communications missions flying the O-2A Skymaster for the Tactical Air Command.
In May of 1983 the unit relocated to Stewart International Airport. It was redesignated the 105th Military Airlift Group the following year. In July of 1985 the105th became the first Air National Guard unit to fly the C-5 Galaxy. The 105th relocated to its new home to Stewart Air National Guard Base across the runway of the airport in October 1987. Once again the unit was redesignated the 105th Airlift Group in March 1992. Finally three years later in October of 1995, the unit was redesignated as the 105th Airlift Wing.